Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Northeast Reining Horse Association Spring Spin, Part 2

This one will be shorter. Mainly because I waited too long and I've forgotten a lot.

So... in order to ride in the show pen before the show started on Saturday, we had to be up, out of the motel room, and on our horses by around 6:30. That's AM. I'm not a morning person.

But, I managed it. It was a bit chaotic, since everyone else was doing the same thing at the same time, but we did it.

Then... we waited. My one class was likely not going to start until well into the afternoon. There were plenty of classes to watch, and my barn mates would be in a few of them, but it was a long cold morning. Really cold. Really, really cold.

Cinch and I got started warming up pretty early in the afternoon again, and I actually felt like he was getting a bit sluggish.  I mentioned this to Brian, but he said "Just wait until he's in the pen, he'll perk up."

This time, the barn owner lent me her chaps (I don't own a pair). I never thought they'd fit - she's tiny - but we managed to squeeze me into them. Yes, we - putting chaps on is like putting on a corset: you can do it yourself but it's easier with help. So I was dressed a bit like Johnny Cash meets the Village People: black shirt, black leather chaps over jeans, cowboy boots. My helmet is brown with black trim, so I wasn't completely coordinated, but it was definitely a look.

I guess Cinch didn't get a good night's sleep. I know I didn't; I was getting over a cold and still had the cough. I didn't want to wake my roomie up so I tried to hold them in... with mixed success. Also, apparently, I whimper in my sleep. My roomie said it actually made her feel like she was sharing the room with one of her dogs, who whimpers in his sleep too.  Still, a bit embarrassing

Anyway, he stayed lethargic in the pen... on the fast circles, Brian was yelling "kick him! kick him!" which I was doing, but he wasn't paying all that much attention. Also, I completely spaced on the second rollback: We stopped. I looked at the fence line, mind completely blank. Then, "oh yeah, rollback!"

That, plus a few more errors and a late lead change, got us a 54.

Another barn mate took my phone and recorded my ride for posterity. Here it is, warts and all:



And here, after our run, looking dazed and confused (and having just gotten my jacket back... did I mention it was cold?)

No comments: