Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Vacation in Bonaire - Inauspicious Start, Fini

As we dragged our luggage along, we checked the numbers on the doors and stairwells. In our overtired and overwrought state, it was as if we'd entered the Twilight Zone: 96, 98, 92, 94, 88... well, we found the one we would be spending two weeks in, unlocked the door, and dragged ourselves and our luggage in.

The room was a bit... used looking. As a matter of fact, it appeared that at some point in the not-too-distant past, someone had set off a bunch of firecrackers in the bathroom and entryway: the tiles were pocked with what looked like little burn marks. I went into the bathroom and noticed there was no shower curtain. The closet space still had the unmistakeable smell of ocean funk lingering. "I'll be buying some Lysol before I hang my clean clothes in there" I thought. I'm actually amazed I had such a coherent thought, I was so tired. The AC however was working like a champ and was cranked way up.

We dropped our stuff, and I walked back to the front desk to ask about a shower curtain. I was really looking forward to a shower. I got back to the room and Geoffrey was sprawled out on a bed, nearly asleep.

Unfortunately, I was now WIRED: Must Get Things All Sorted Out Before Resting. I dragged Geoffrey out to walk down the street to buy some Lysol and a couple of other things, and we spent some time at some of the shops.

When we got back, there was still no shower curtain. This time as I walked into the room I noticed the artwork on the wall for the first time.

I was beat. I read it as "HELL"

No comments: