Sunday, January 11, 2015

I didn't mention this, did I?

I bought a reining horse.

He's pretty cool - a big chestnut with a blaze and a high white stocking on his left rear, sock on his right rear.  His name is Cinch - registered name Chex My Backcinch - is 9 in March, and is the next step for me in my reining adventure.

Chances are, I'll even show him.

I can't believe I'm even thinking about it - showing wasn't my favorite thing I ever did with Dusty - but having gone to watch a couple of shows, and met some of the local people involved in reining, this is a whole other ballgame.  The competition is there, sure; but friendly and supportive rather than the "the judge isn't looking, I'm going to cut you off (or do some other nastiness)" type of competitors I dealt with back then.

I still have Tico, of course. I can't imagine selling the little booger. He makes me laugh. I love to work with him on the ground, just grooming him and making him do silly things for carrots, and he's still about the smoothest ride I've ever had - a trot that just glides along. Easy on the old back. :) His front leg conformation issues are getting to the point where I really can't ask a whole lot of him, but I still can ride him for an hour or so a weekend, and he stays pretty sound.

Cinch is a hunk. Here he is, his former owner showing him:





Handsome boy, isn't he?


No comments: